Thursday, August 2, 2007

Moojik and moi

Its 9:30pm on Thursday the 2nd of August,2007.No no this is not a bit of my life that is being recorded because it is of any historical importance.Its just that I'm hungry,bored and longing for the weekend.Dinner's not until 10pm and even then I've no clue if it'll be worth the wait.However, since I've got this far on a growling tummy, I might as well stick it out until 10.

I realized today that I've been listening to very minimal amount of music.And I hate that fact.Whatever little I listen to is courtesy rainrider's birthday gift to moi- a Transcend mp3 player with fm radio built in.The icing however was that it came with the rainrider's collection of classic rock.God bless the man.So whenever mum and dad think I'm doing something of earth-shattering importance inside my room, you can dead certain that Transcend is infusing life into me and preparing me to keep going for yet another day.

My love affair with music has been very humble.It isn't the dazzling,passionate kind.More like the quiet, life sustaining, undeniably essential kind.Don't get fooled into thinking that I come from a family of musicians though.The only person in my family who's learned in that aspect is my mum.She underwent vocal training in carnatic music for about 6 or 8 years and as a consequence she's the only one in the household who can croon without making other living beings in the vicinity wince.Dad's singing is used strictly as a tool for torture while bro's attempts can provide a good laugh every now and then.Then there's your's truly.I like to pretend that Amma's gift was passed down to me but the truth is far from that.And there are witnesses to prove it.

As far as vocal talent goes there have been the odd flukes when I didn't make people feel like they were being tortured for classified information.Then again there have also been the other instances.Here I recount all my embarrassing moments onstage in front of a microphone.

Instance number 1: Independence day celebrations in school.I was supposed to sing "Ae mere watan ke logon" whoch was originally sung by Lata Mangeshkar.I had a girl playing the keyboard for accompaniment.The practices went really well and all the hunky seniors said I sang "really great".Come the day of the performance.The chief guest talked till my mouth went dry and chose to let me sing just when I was all disoriented and grumpy with his speech.So I began.I couldn't hear the keyboard and the keyboardist couldn't hear me so we followed two completely different pitches.Musical chaos ensued.Except that there wasn't anything remotely musical about it.All the rude little brats in the first row stuck their fingers in their ears and screwed up their little faces.Princie winced every now and then and the chief guest maintained a stony face and nodded stiffly every couple of seconds.

Two minutes later I howled to a teacher vowing I'd never sing again while some more little brats sniggered behind me.

Instance number 2 : I was supposed to compere a show and sing a bit (I think). All went well except for the closing.I ended the show with a bang.And a crash.The mike stand was then declared to be hopelessly beyond repair.

Instance number 3 : Music auditions in college.I planned to sing "The way you are" by Shania Twain.Simple song.But when my turn came I did something weird in between, stopped, gulped and looked at D sheepishly.She very understandingly let me continue.Also made the mistake of shortlisting me.They then tried making me sing "My immortal" by Evanescence.Disaster and more pained and screwed up faces is what ensued.Thankfully that was in the practice sessions and I chickened outta singing it onstage.

Many more goofups are etched on my mind but if I list them all,this would be a post of epic proportions.

Then there was my dalliance with musical instruments.

Piano in Calcutta under Ms Anitha and Mrs Francis.They complained that I played too stiffly.But they couldn't see that it was because Tommy sat at my feet always and I could hardly breathe for fear of moving.

Keyboard in Chennai.Gave it up.Got bored with all the politics and all that.

Guitar from 11th grade.Hung around till I learnt the major chords (which took 3 months.The instructor was "throrough" types) and then quit.Since then once in a while when I'm bored or lonely I experiment on the guitar.I haven't gotten anywhere in terms of learning but I rather like the experimenting.

From what you read above,you would surely have realised what a bumbling disaster I am when it comes to music.But that thankfully doesn't diminsh my love for it.I need it to be a part of my everyday existence.I don't care what genre it is.I've adopted a "has notes,will listen" attitude.The lack of it now is like a huge crater in my soul that makes me irate and snappy.If only my 'aapees' would let us listen to moojiks while working (long sigh).

1 comment:

Am I Who said...

you silly modest child!!!

you better come up with another post that puts up all your achievements...

i'd like to believe that all the demeaning your music talents is for fun!! you KNOW what i REALLY think about you and music... hence, me is not makin it public!

aaaaaaaahh. i feel like beating you. :(