Wednesday, April 11, 2007

In unfamiliar territory

So here we are. Stepping into a new and very different life.Sampled some yesterday.The novelty seems exciting and there's the challenge of having to start from scratch at something you don't know jack-shit about. Yes,its very different indeed.

A place other than the tin-box we used to refer to as our campus. This one in contrast is HUGE and believe me when I say HUGE I mean HUGE.The sheer size is relieving somehow. It houses so many people, its actually like a freaking stock exchange!!!Of course there's none of the desperate madness,just a very orderly calm. Now THATS a little tough to get used to after being part of a 65-strong, extremely loudly opinionated fish-market-like class.

Despite all the friendly, open treatment, there's the constant feeling of 'you watch your own back'.It isnt a reference to malice of any sort. Just the realization that we are after all responsible for ourselves and how our lives turn out to be. Highly empowering and terribly frightening at the same time.

The 'fun' is different too.Its all grown up and carefully controlled.None of the spontaneous madness we've been so used to.

Being/acting grown up has its own perks.One finally gets taken seriously and treated as an equal.By most atleast.Decisions are left to you and what you do is entirely your problem at the end of the day. And if you find yourself in a barrel full of shit, you might as well climb out of it all by yourself.

Also,for once, my 'seriousness' doesn't seem out of place.Yay!

Once upon a time, I left my mother's safe womb to enter a strange, unknown world.I had help then to cope, to be taken care of, to be comforted and cossetted. Years have passed and I'm in a strange place yet again. Except that this time around I learn to cope, to take care of myself and be my own source of comfort.

And yes, emotionality is ephemeral.

3 comments:

Unbiased Opinionz said...

its definitely a challenge... because whats not familiar is very challenging...all the very best ..'m sure you'l cope with the evironment n do ur best :)

Unknown said...

update..update..update!!!! its super disappointing to come and see nothing new on your blog :(

Prufrockster said...

I'm not sure this even means anything; but, all the best!